Monday, April 20, 2009

"The Special Crew"

Amigos

AJ MIKEY ME

MY WEEKEND, was SO much FUN! This is the 5th time I have joined my home Stake to go to Caborca, Mexico on a service project. And next year I plan on having quite a few followers join. SO much fun. Alyssa Jesser (AJ) made the 5 hour drive with my parents and me. I am SO happy she came. I don't think we ever stopped laughing. Except for the few short hours that we enjoyed some shut eye. But even then when we woke up, we had crazy stories about bugs in our ears or the cold night. (Well maybe those were just my stories?) But we made some sweet friends and renewed a lot of old friendships. AJ who is not LDS learned so much this weekend. As we told our friends about the adventures she made sure to use all the correct word choice like, "Stake Center" (she was sad to learn there was NO steak involved) and passing of the sacrament (she also was concerned the boys didn't wash their hands), the titles of all the leaders in the church (towards the end she just started calling them "the important guy"). Needless to say, we never stopped laughing or talking.


Friday:
DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE.
It was a lot of driving and pictures. We arrived in Caborca, Mexico at around 6:30ish. I was so happy to see the familiar church building. I have missed it these past years. We met all the Mexican church members and started the auction. The "Auction" is one of my most favorite parts. It starts with an American family standing up and then after the announcer gets an offer a Mexican family stands up and accepts the family to live in their house. SO funny. We stayed with our good friends Poncho and Letti and their two sons, Poncheto and Mikey. AJ and I stayed up way late just talking about everything under the sun.

Saturday:
We woke up to early. We had the BOMBEST breakfast. AJ and I were part of the "Special Crew" so we needed to be at the site at 7AM where everyone else arrived at 8AM. We walked from the house over in our TOMS. I love that we walked. Caborca is such a cool little city. It has so many different and diverse homes and streets. I love that NONE of the houses are cookie cutter with the same bland shades of brown. They were painted bright colors all different. Then we got to the Red Cross building. We were going to paint the outside and inside. It was lots of fun. The very first job AJ and I had on the "special crew" was suppose to be to climb on the roof and mask off the windows. Well, because we are both girls no one wanted us to. Michael and Tyler climb up there and put the boards up on the tin roof so they could walk around. Well after they accomplished this task they entertained themselves by throwing rocks at me. (Maturity hit them hard.) So AJ and I jumped up to go and mask. We then found
painting jobs. Our good little Mexican friend Mikey played with us. The kid is a monkey. After we painted for about 6 hours we finished and headed to our host house. Everyone went to the beach, but like any all American girls, we requested to go shopping. We bought bracelets for everyone we thought of and visited the Mission. It was very pretty. Then we headed to the FIESTA!

FIESTA:
Basically my FAVORITE part! Mexican dancing is so fun. Alyssa and I made some Mexican friends and they started teaching us to dance. It soon turned into a HUGE circle. Brother Schroeder danced next to me. Bahaha. Seriously watching him was very entertaining. He was so serious in his moves. AJ busted out and I don't think I ever stopped laughing. It definitely turned into a FULL body workout. With the dancing and the laughing and the food. That night we went with our new Mexican friends to see the Mission again and play on the see saw. SO FUN. We fit 20 people into a van. It was very interesting. I had so much fun. I laughed harder than I ever had.

Sunday:
We went to church and then said our goodbye's. We took a million pictures and hurried to get back on the road to P-town. It was a great trip.

Sorry if this blog is very vague. I can't even start to write all the amazing things that happened. I love Caborca! I love the people. I love I made new friends, American and Mexican. I just had a blast. Next year we are bringing all the girls! I also apologize for this blog sounding like a 7 year old wrote it. It is very late and I think that if I don't post it today, well just won't ever get done. I have still yet to catch up on my sleep. All together my driving time this weekend was about 18 hours. Looks like it is time to sleep. I have started to dream in Spanish now, is that normal?






























1 comment:

Alyssa said...

I loved Mexico! I am so glad you asked me to come!
It was awesome! I want to go back right now!
love!