Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day Mania

I was sitting waiting wishing.......

(My mom's phone station she put together the night before. So she wouldn't miss the call.)
Mother's day is the day you try to make your mom understand how mush you love and appreciate her. During the year, sometimes mom's don't get all the "thank yous" and "I love yous" like they should. So there is one day devoted to just reminding your mom that she is the best ever. So naturally you try to make it perfect.
Here how o
ur Mothers Day went:
Saturday afternoon my dad and I started the LONG process of gift shopping. We had lots of places to go, and none were next to each other (or even in the same city). So we started heading to the bookstore. As we were driving, we started talking about what my mom would actually love the best. Then we remembered that my sister the missionary would be calling. In deep despair, we realized that nothing was going to top that. We still drove and got the presents, but knew that they would just a small thing compared to hearing Sister Black.
The morning of I woke up to my mom saying (in her happiest nicest voice) "Time to wake up Brittany!!!" I laid in bed listening to her run around the house, opening and shutting cupboards. I remembered it was Mother's Day. I went out and said, "Happy Mother's Day." But she was still smiling, like freakishly happy for 7AM. "Did you talk to Pamella?" She about yelled, but in a 'aw' voice. "Yes! She called this morning. We talked for awhile, and she also talked to your dad." "Um... Did anyone think to wake me up???" "Oh, she will call back later. She said she talk to you tonight." So then I went out to the truck to get the gifts.
I LOVE giving my mom presents. I learned that she is SO impatient and about dies when you show her the gift, and don't let her open it. So I had 3 bags. I WAS going to tell her to open one now, one when we got home from church and one before she went to bed. But my mom is my mom. So she opened all three. Weird that she LOVED the cook book the best. I got her this REALLY cute dress that I knew she wanted. I love dressing her. Then my dad picked out this book that is the first of a 7 volume series. She was pretty happy. But if she would have just WAITED, she could have opened something after church.
So then the next part. The waiting part. I learned impatience from my mom. I hate waiting. So I am forever being taught patience. Sister Black was suppose to call at 7. 7 our time or her time? She is 2 hours ahead of us so starting at 5 I sat by the phone. My mom made me clean the kitchen. I did because it was her day. (Normally I would stall and get in trouble the next day). So finally it was 7:30 (took an hour and half to clean!!). I was still waiting. I am SUCH a bad waiter. I just sat on the couch and stared at my mom while she read she cookbook. After awhile, she was getting a little spooked and told me to "cut it out." So then I was angry. She wasn't going to call. She forgot. Or had to go to bed. She wasn't calling. I was VERY angry that they didn't just wake me up! But then, after a tough 5 minutes, I realized that it wasn't any one's fault. It would just be one year of not talking. I talked to her on Christmas, and next Christmas I could talk again. I guess that would be OK. So I started writing an email. She would check it the next day and have a reason. So I was writing, but I was so really sad. I missed my sister. And I just wanted to say hi, and to tell her all the news of my life. So as I was writing I started crying (I am still sitting on the couch) and my mom looks over and starts crying too.

Well sometime there my phone rang. A 920 number. I answered it, "Hello?" She said, "Hey what up?" "Pamella?" (my voice totally cracking) "Yeah. Who do you think this is? How are you?" I am now bawling out of pure happiness. She DIDN'T forget to talk to me. My mom in completely in tears. Mouthing "is that her?" I told my sister, "Sorry, mom is making me cry." Pamella (like only she can say), "OK, get up and go away from mom. I have no more tears to cry." So I went in my room and told her EVERYTHING. She said, "BRITTANY! Stop talking. Oh my gosh. I can't even understand you."
So we talked forever. It was like we had never stopped talking. Then my mom, rocky, my mom again, my dad and I got to talk. My FAVORITE Mother's Day. The scary thought is that for the next 2 years it will be the exact same schedule. I am giving up on trying to get her the perfect present.

2 comments:

Steph Weaver said...

Brit! I almost called so I could come talk with her too...we all need our Pam-Cakes! She is the best listener and so fun to chat with! I know how close you are to her, glad she finally called! I love to hear the stories about your mom...she cracks me up! Come visit...what are you doing this summer?

brittany said...

STEPH!
I do need to visit! I have so much to send you. I have been in need of your address!