Tuesday, July 21, 2009

We were ROBBED! Robbed I tell you!

When it rains

it pours.

A few years ago one of my cousins didn't really live in the best of neighborhoods. Actually, it was quite scary. But if you live somewhere you acclimate to your surrounds and just deal. Well one day she went out to buy some ice cream from the ice cream truck, she was about 9 here, and there was a shooting. People fell the the ground and the ice cream truck took off without a backward glance. Thankfully no one was hurt, but still that isn't something I would get over very easily. But the only thing that she kept saying over and over again was, "AND the ice cream man JACKED my quarter."

Today I feel the same way.

As our routine calls, every morning my mom and I hike North Mountain. We park at the visit center and hike through the trail to the actual mountain. Today was especially exciting because it rained a bit on our way over there. My mom and I were hoping for a down pour, well I was more than she. People stood at the foot of the trail and debated whether or not to continue, but we were eager to start. It was so beautiful today. The sun played peek-a-boo with the clouds through the first part of the hike. The shadows and deep blue of the far away sky had me in awe the entire time. I love the way the wind blows and the smell of rain combined with the desert air. It gets you just waiting for some drops to fall on your head. The lighting was getting extremely close as we reached the end of the trail. The thunder always reminds me of a very hungry giant man. I was thinking of all this when I got to the parking lot. But then, all thoughts of this raining day quickly went out of my head.

Our beautiful little golden egg car was hurt. The back passenger window was smashed in, glass everywhere. It automatically sent me in panic mode. I yelled "Mom!", but still not quite sure this was our car. I mean, this kind of thing doesn't really happen . . . does it??? They first thing she said, even before looking in, "They took my purse," totally stunned. I immediately felt upset that she was sad. Logically I know that I should be mad at the act of the stealing and breaking of the car, but the fact that my mom was upset and I helpless on how to fix it made me angry. We paused for a grand total of 2 minutes and looked for anyone with a cell phone. Then decided that the best option was just to drive on home and start cancelling. I broke out the rest of the window so it wouldn't fly in my face while driving and tried to clean my seat off the best I could, but am sad to report I think I sat on a piece of glass. I asked me mom my what was in her purse, she said, defeated, "My whole world."

So now we are home. Police reports, cards cancels, SS card reported, credit lines calls, insurance claims and plans cancelled for the day and it isn't even 7:30. They had already used it for gas! It's an awful thing to steal. My mom listed the number of brutal things she would like to do to the people on the way home. There were lots of red lights and plenty of time to think, I would never want to meet her in a dark alley... She is insanely cruel. (at-ad girl)

On the up side, I have been wanting my mom to get a new wallet and purse. At least she can start new and not have all the clutter left overs. While this is awful, I am thankful that we weren't hurt or anything, I can only imagine what would happen if my mom saw the people commit this crime. It is a little scary knowing they have our address. It is truly a different world we live in these days.

On the way to the mountain this morning I thought,
'I live in the city, but nothing ever bad has happened to me. The city is a safe place.'

Ironic.

3 comments:

meggs said...

I am so orry YO! This is why we need to see eachother more often so that we KNOW what is going on in our lives.

If there is anything that your family needs help with, just holla at your sista...I'm serious.

I love you.
meggs

Taylor said...

=[
sad day B

ppl suck!

Alyssa said...

This makes me sad.
I love you.