Friday, July 24, 2009

Oh brother.....

Run your car off the side of the road
Get stuck in a ditch way out in the middle of nowhere
(Well man, I've been there)
Or get yourself in a bind lose the shirt off your back
Need a floor, need a couch, need a bus fare

A song came on the radio that made me instantly think of one of the most caring person I know. The lyrics and words sounded like they were written for him. As I listened to the song I started to feel so proud for just being related. My little brother is such a blessing and example to me.

A few weekends ago my brother, dad and two cousins when to visit my grandparents up north where they were RVing it for 2 weeks. Only now that my grandparents are home am I hearing Rocky's heroic rescue. While in the mountains, one of my cousins and Rocky decided to drive down to the lake. While there Rocky saw a dirt biker wreck and went over to offer some assistance. I will spare the details on the extent of injuries, but I can tell you it wasn't pretty. When I asked Rocky to tell me about he didn't even want to repeat it. But Rocky was quick to help. As I understand the man wasn't in any position to move or help himself. Rocky introduced himself to the man and told him he had a first aid kit and was going to help. He went to his truck and brought out the huge tin red-cross box (something I am constantly making fun of him for) put on gloves and got to work. He stayed and helped until more could come. My mom asked him how he knew what to do, and he said, "Mom. I am CPR trained and learned all about first aid." I forget about how old my little brother is.

I was tearing up in the car as my mom told me this. But she continued, making it impossible not to cry, telling me all the times Rocky and his friend stopped to help those in need. One time they were driving and saw some girls that had car trouble. (of course it was girls...) One car broke down and the girls decided to tie ROPE to it and tow it with another car to the gas station. Well the rope broke. Duh... (I was LAUGHING at that part.) So Rocky and Tyler (his friend) got out and pushed the car to the far away gas station.

How luckily am I to have a brother like that? Someone I know that will stop and help with the messy, hard, and sometimes gross things. And he has friends that are the same. And he doesn't even stop to brag, it is just part of an everyday occurrence. I am truly blessed with my brother.

I seem to be in a rush most times I am with Rocky and forget to see the subtle changes turning him from a boy to a man. I am so excited to share a semester with him at EA! I cannot wait to for our crazy stories, that I know inevitability always follow Rocky.

Somebody's gonna drop everything
Run out and crank up their car
Hit the gas, get there fast
Never stop to think 'what's in it for me?' or 'it's way too far'
They just show on up with their big old heart

You find out who your friends are

No comments: