Friday, August 28, 2009

weekend time.

Oh goodness.

That sentence just about explains my current thoughts.

I am in my second year of college and I finally am feeling like a college girl. I am shopping, acting, talking and looking like one. How does one truly turn into a college student you might ask? Well let me tell you.

It starts by knowing that school is a privilege. That getting a higher education than required by state law is absolutely one of greatest experiences you can have. Not only are you adopted into a world filled with scholars, it automatically throws you ahead in future competition. I wake up everyday, very tired, feeling so blessed for my parents that gave me this opportunity.

Once you are in your classes, you have to know why you are taking the classes. My mistake last year was, quite possibly, I didn't see the big picture and went to class without a purpose. I know now that each professor I meet will provide me with a stepping stone to my goals. Recently I have really started to see the relevance to each class and my career choice.

I never really had to study in high school. I am not a genius, as I am reminded each day, but I didn't have anything to challenging. Plus I knew how to work the system. Now they are working me, hard. I study every single day, and try to learn the next day's lesson to prepare myself. I had my brother install a desk, and went to the library as soon as I had time. My time is always occupied with thoughts of school and homework.

Last semesters I never had to concept of a college budget. It wasn't that I had a magic plastic card, I just wasn't smart about things. Now that I just bought my very expense books, I might have to eat the covers for nourishment. Tuition is always expected, but the books catch me off guard every time. I am shopping wise now, and using each penny wisely. And I like it. I like that sometimes I have to say no to eating out, or buying a ton of unneeded items. It makes the times I actually do things more fun, and my little sunflower plastic card isn't so strained.

Finally, I am actually trying. I get up each morning hours before school begins to take a shower, blow dry my hair, put make-up on, find a original out-fit, pick out matching jewelry, etc... It is different from the past when a ponytail, t-shirt and flip-flops was decent.

I might be a little intense about school, but I just am so excited each day. I am here, learning about the Egyptians, reading Chopin and discussing conservation of energy. How often can you say you do this? Only one point in your life really- when you are a college student. I am just soaking it all in.

This past week feels like a month. I run from one class to the next. 8AM to 4PM straight everyday except my sweet and glorious Fridays, which are 9AM-2PM. It is scary sometimes; I wonder if I am going to be able to complete this load and have a growing GPA? But I am blessed to have a few open hours to attend institute, which might be the best part of my year and get me threw the stressful times.

All in all, I am going to school. I am busy. Everything is going fast. Sometimes I feel like my feet are scrambling to catch up to everyone running past me.
And I love it
.

No comments: