Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The wifey in me

So we have been married a year. And it took about that long for me to really get some wife duties. (Although when I fall short Cody is pretty good about making up the difference) Every morning, ok I may have skipped like 3, I wake up at 4 with him and make him his lunch, breakfast and send him off with a kiss. Then I snuggle back into bed where I wake up 2-3 hours later. When you look at it, I pretty much have a sweet set-up. I also try to make dinner everyday. Pinterest has been my great friend in this endeavor.

I came from a home where my mom cooked for us all the time. And a lot of the time it was things we had left in the pantry, or refrigerator that was going bad so she would throw it all together and it was delicious. I was that girl though that said, I will learn to cook later. Ha, oh how people tried to show me. I can follow a recipe, pretty well, it is that whole know what taste good together part I am missing.

So for about a month now Cody and I have been trying to just eat in. It saves money, but also gives us some talking time at the end of the night. I do LOVE to sit at the table and eat a home cooked meal. Since I have taken on this task I have discovered things like cream of chicken [pretty much just throw it on anything] and seasonings. Having a crockpot is WONDERFUL and it is my easy cooking days when I use it.

So the POINT to this is yesterday I wanted to make a roast. But I only know how to make one. IT is SUPER easy and Cody keeps asking for it. But you can ONLY have it so many times. (Plus I made it was I was pregnant sick and the smell, while wonderful, gives me bad memories) And I do love Pinterest. HOWEVER, sometimes I just want to use what I have! I don't want to go to the store for 5 more ingredients that I am just going to use for this dish and then let go bad, no!


So here it is. I used what I had, NO idea how this is going to turn out.

1 2.5lb Chuck Roast
1 can of Cream of Chicken
1/2 can of water
3 Largish potatoes cut up
1/2 bag of frozen broccoli that I found in the freezer
And probably a lot of seasoning

I put it in the crockpot while Cody was eating breakfast today. He looked alarmed, but has been well trained to not question the homemaker in me. Instead he said, "Honey how about you go back to bed? You don't have to stay up with me." Haha, nice try.

[Also, I feel like this needs to be said: I was sick almost all of last week and Cody made dinner so I could sleep and lunch and breakfast. He is pretty good at all his husband duties.]

I set it for high for 10 hours. We shall see . . .

No comments: